Sunday, July 5, 2015

And so it begins....

I am a teacher. This means different things to different people, and has meant many things to me, depending on the situation I'm in at the time. I didn't start out to be one (the original plan was musician), but life and circumstances sometimes help you find your way better than all the best laid plans.

And then came a move and children, and I put teaching on hold for a while. I supervised student teachers and taught graduate school while my children were small; when they were both in school full time, I decided it was my turn as well.

But teaching had changed - schools were facing budget crunches, and jobs were scarce. I was fortunate to find full time work, doing leave replacements for 5 years. While I loved the schools and students where I worked, I desperately needed a home. It's exhausting and demoralizing to be told every year that there is no position for you; a couple months later the temporary reprieve would come, and save my position for one more year, but it was only ever temporary. I yearned for a home, a place where I could reflect on the previous year's work, nuancing and adding to the lessons and units that had been created and taught that year.

After many (many...) resumes and interviews, I now have a home to call my own. I'm so excited for the future, and the ability to be the kind of teacher that I've missed being - thoughtful, reflective, joyful, and effective. I hope this blog will reflect that journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment